Seven Steps to Master Your Emotions
IQ isn’t everything. In fact, research suggests it’s only about 20 percent responsible for one’s career success. But if this is the case, where’s the other 80 percent come from?
The answer is Emotional Intelligence (EI).
A review published in the journal of Annual Psychology found that highly emotional intelligent individuals have better social relations are perceived more positively by others, have better family and intimate relationships, better academic achievement, better social relations in work performance and negotiations, and even better overall psychological well-being than those with lower EI.
To put that into more concrete numbers, according to a 2016 MSN.com article, “Emotional Intelligence is such an important skill that 90 percent of top performers in the workplace have high EQs, and people with high EQs make $28,000 more annually than those with low EQs.”
So what all does this training cover?
According to Daniel Goleman, author of Emotional Intelligence, there are five main constructs of EI: Self-awareness, self-regulation, social skills, empathy, and motivation. In this presentation we will focus primarily on the first two: Self-awareness and self-regulation.
The goal of this training then is to help the participant become more mindful of, more connected with, and better in control of their emotional state. Using a concrete, step-by-step approach, my goal is that this training gives you the skill set to master your emotions so they don’t master you!
The Seven Steps to Master Emotions are…
In addition to reviewing and illustrating each step, we will also discuss real-life examples that apply directly to the workplace environment and culture.